A quarter of the Amazon “irreversibly destroyed”

Gathered for the 5th Indigenous Peoples Summit, Amazonian leaders and investigators from the nine countries presented a report showing that the Amazon is at a point of no return because of deforestation.

“Red alert” in the Amazon: 26% of the planet’s green lung ecosystem is irreversibly destroyed due to deforestation, drug trafficking and contamination, indigenous leaders meeting in Lima, Peru warned on Tuesday (September 6th). “For us, to announce that the Amazon is 26% contaminated and destroyed is very alarming”Venezuelan Gregorio Mirabal, head of the Coordination of Indigenous Organizations of the Amazon Basin (Coica), which represents 3.5 million indigenous people living in this region, told AFP. “It’s a red alert telling us that if we don’t do something now, we won’t meet the 2030 development goals or the big deals reached at the Glasgow COP”assured Gregorio Mirabal, 54, proudly wearing a crown of red and yellow feathers.

Gathered for the 5th Indigenous Peoples Summit, Amazonian leaders and investigators from the nine countries presented a report showing that the Amazon is at a point of no return due to high rates of deforestation and degradation which, combined, now represent 26% of the region. The remaining 74% require immediate protection, the report says. “Governments said they would save the Amazon, but given these figures, it is clear that they are not keeping their promises”affirmed the chief of the people Wakuenai Kurripaco. “The temperature will increase by two degrees if deforestation continues at this rate”he warned.

511 indigenous peoples and 500 different languages

According to Gregorio Mirabal, there are some 511 indigenous peoples in this region of the world and 500 different languages ​​are spoken there. Another issue addressed at the summit: the assassination of Amazon defenders and leaders, which amounts to more than 280 in the nine countries covered by this tropical forest. “The Amazon is suffering because we are being invaded by logging, oil companies and those who attack our territories. We want to call for help.”Brazilian Marciely Tupari, from the Coordination of Indigenous Organizations of the Brazilian Amazon, told AFP.

The nine Amazon countries are Peru, Brazil, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Bolivia, Guyana, French Guyana and Suriname.

.

Leave a Comment